Tuesday, August 6

crochet 101 :: half double crochet


Crochet 101 is a series of crochet tutorials where I will teach you how to complete the basic stitches needed to crochet.


Hi :) 

Welcome back to Crochet 101!

We now know how to:

• Make a slip knot
• Chain stitch
• Slip stitch (part II)
and
Single crochet (part II)

Let's move on to lesson 7:
The half double crochet stitch falls in between a single crochet stitch and a double crochet stitch in height. It is different than most stitches because instead of working off 2 loops at a time, you draw the yarn through all 3 loops on the hook.

Let's get started!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You will need:
*Yarn
*Hook

In this post, I show you where to look for what type of hook you will need for your yarn.

Step 1:
Make a slip knot.

Step 2:
Make a starting chain
For this tutorial, we will make a starting chain of 11; 10 for the stitches, plus 1 extra chain for the turning chain.

*PLEASE NOTE: Normally with the half double crochet stitch, you would chain 2 for the turning chain, but I prefer to just chain 1. You can choose to use the chain 2 turning chain method if you prefer, but this tutorial will show a chain 1 because that is how I crochet. 

*NOTE: If you are using the chain 2 method, you would make your starting chain 1 less than the number of stitches you want + 2. [Example: I want 11 stitches, so my starting chain will be 10, then I will add 2 more chains for my turning chain/first stitch (making to total chains 13).]

Step 3:
We will be working our first stitch into the second chain from the hook (marked with the number 2 and the purple circle in the picture above). 

*NOTE: If you are working with the chain 2 turning chain, you would be working your first stitch into the 3rd chain from the hook (marked with the number 3 in the picture above). The 2 skipped chains will count as your first half double crochet stitch, making your first row 10 stitches.


Yarn over.


Step 4:
Insert your hook.

Step 5:
Yarn over.

Step 6:
Pull the yarn through the loop.


There are 3 loops on your hook.

Step 7:

Yarn over.

Step 8:
Pull the yarn through all 3 loops on the hook.


You have made 1 half double crochet.

Again...
Yarn over.


Move over to the next chain.


Insert your hook.


Yarn over and pull the yarn through the loop.


3 loops on the hook.


Yarn over.


Pull the yarn through all 3 loops. 


There are now 2 half double crochets completed.

Repeat steps 3-8 across the chain.
This is what your finished row of half double crochet stitches should look like. There should be 11 stitches (10 half double crochets + the chain 1 turning chain).


Below is a video I made to show these steps in action. I have slowed the video down so that every step is seen. I have also added music to the video because I filmed this video with my phone and I have no idea how to mute the background while recording. Feel free to mute if piano is not your thing lol
Enjoy!



I hope the turning chain talk didn't confuse anybody... but if you need any help, just ask!


Come back tomorrow and I'll show you how to continue on with the half double crochet!

Until tomorrow...


post signature


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips